Given that I've just left SecTor, I thought I would write down some of the amusing and educational things I've learned over the past day (since I was only there day 1 ... boo).
- The whole cloud conversation has just gotten started. Hoff gave a brilliant keynote (complete with Squirrel) on just how complex this simple idea of "Cloud Computing" is ... and why so many, many people misunderstand it
- People from Toronto are passionate about things they love... and even more passionate about things they care nothing at all for
- The end-user doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of understanding "personal security" in an inter-connected, Internet-enabled world
- Malware is evolving faster, and often works better than legitimate software -this should worry you more than I can even convey in a blog
- Brian, Nanna, and the SecTor team treat their speakers better than any conference I've ever been to, or spoken at
- "The Four Horsemen" is an acquired taste, but makes for a great party starter
- What happens in the name of Hackers for Charities, stays in Toronto ... unless video and photos of Hoff giving Brian a "man-dance" are posted all over Twitter
- We are about 2-3 years away from software being able to fully impersonate a human being on the Internet ... whether this leads to Cyber-War is debatable and depends on what you take Cyber War to mean (via @RSnake)
- Even your video gaming console, video games and the once sacred nerd retreat of virtual reality isn't safe from hacking (via @PaperGhost)
- EAP! Authentication and Authorization of networking nodes is so complex it makes my brain hurt ... that can't be good for those trying to implement it
In the final analysis, I'm sad I was only able to spend a day with old friends, new friends, and people I've only talked to virtually ... but look forward to the full presentations and follow-up conversations -especially around the crimeware/software underground.
Thanks for having me Toronto, I hope you all enjoyed my talk, learned something ... and I look forward to seeing everyone again!