I can't say much about the actual security aspect but here are some random thoughts ...
USA --> Canada
- No line on the border crossing
- Border agent was very friendly
- Asked 4 questions, looked at our passports and wished us a good trip
Canada --> USA
- 45 minute line (4 lines for cars, 2 for trucks ... all filled)
- Border agent was a total jerk
- Asked 8 seemingly random questions (even for a security paranoid like myself)
From what I can tell, the long line and hassle at the US border crossing was absolutely mindless. Do I feel safer that the agent asked me how I knew the woman sitting besides me? No. Do I feel safer that the agent was a complete a** when speaking to my wife? No. Did I observe anything that would indicate that there was rhyme or reason for the "security theater" that took place at the border?
... in a word .. .No.